Industry Canada: Canadian Industry Statistics
Find information on Canadian industry sectors including: industry statistics, industry profiles, environmental issues, standards and regulations, innovation and research, analyses, trade and more.
Industry Canada: SME Benchmarking Tool
View financial performance data based on industry averages; stats include the number of operations, profitable and non-profitable operations, net profits and losses, and revenue ranges of employees within the industry
Official statistical information from 100 United States government federal agencies, covering variety of topics including population trends.
Passport GMID Reference & Markets
Market research database with a focus on consumer products. Includes demographic statistics (population, age, sex, immigration, emigration, birth and death rates) for 205 countries.
Statistical Abstract of the United States: Population
Population portal of the U.S. Statistical Abstract. "The authoritative and comprehensive summary of statistics on the social, political, and economic organization of the United States."
Also in print:
Call No.: HA 202 .A2 2010 (K, P, V, S)
Webportal that allows users to access many United Nations statistical databases, including population resources. Population databases include:
UNSD Demographic Statistics, UNSD
World Contraceptive Use, UNPD
World Fertility Data, UNPD
World Marriage Data, UNPD
World Population Prospects: The 2008 Revision, UNPD
United Nations: Statistical yearbook
Provides "a wide range of internationally avialable statistics on social and economic conditions and activities at the national, regional and world levels." Includes population and demographics.
Call No.: HA 12.5 .U63 2009 54th ed. REF (K)
United Nations: World Statistics Pocketbook
"Key economic, social and environmental indicators ... for 216 countries or areas of the world."
Call No.: HA 155 .W67 2010 REF (K, P, V, S)
World Bank Data: Gender
Demography, education, health, labor force and employment, and political participation.
Data and Statistics
For a detailed guide to statistics please see the Library's Data and Statistics LibGuide. The Marketplace tab has links to various resources for statistics about consumers, industry and products, which may be of use.
Market Profile Resources
What are the characteristics of your market?
Use these resources to search for demographic, socio-economic, and economic characteristics of your market.
Census 2016 Topics and Community Profiles
Census 2006 Community Profiles and 2011 Census Profiles
- profiles present community-level information from the 2006 Census
- includes population, gender, age, education, income and earnings, and more
Statistics Canada Census 2006 topic based tabulations and Census 2011 topic-based products.
CANSIM: (Canadian Socio-Economic Information Management System)
- "Statistics Canada's computerized database of time series covering a wide variety of social and economic aspects of Canadian life."
The Community Information Database (CID)
- "A free internet-based resource developed to provide communities, researchers, and governments with access to consistent and reliable socio-economic and demographic data and information for all communities across Canada."
Central Okanagan Development Commission Economic and Community Profiles
- 2013 Economic Profile: Okanagan Valley
- The Economic Profile is considered a ‘living’ document and updated regularly. Includes economic profiles of communities within the Okanagan Valley; information about education, housing, taxation, infrastructure etc.
How do consumers spend: Survey of Household Spending
"The main purpose of the survey is to obtain detailed information about household spending during the reference year (previous calendar year). Information is also collected about dwelling characteristics as well as household equipment." - Statistics Canada
Current Survey of Household Spending data
- 2010 to 2012 data via Statistics Canada - Data
- Tables 203-0021 to 203-0028 for detailed household spending. Use the "Add/Remove Data" tab to change geography and expenditure categories
- 2010 to 2012 detailed B.C. data via BCStats. You can look at expenditures by lowest to highest before tax income divided in quintiles.
2010 Survey of Household Spending publications
2009 Survey of Household Spending publications
2008 | 2009 Survey of Household Spending data: detailed tables
You will need your student number to access this information and you must use this information in accordance with its licence.
SHS Detailed average household expenditure (goods & services) by household income quintile, Canada & provinces: 2008 | 2009
SHS Detailed average household expenditure (goods & services), Canada & provinces: 2008 | 2009
SHS Dwelling characteristics and household equipment, Canada & provinces: 2008 | 2009
SHS Dwelling characteristics and household equipment by household income quintile, Canada: 2008 | 2009
This site is maintained by the librarians of Okanagan College Library.
If you wish to comment on an individual page, please contact that page's author.
If you have a question or comment about Okanagan College Library's LibGuides site as a whole, please contact the site administrator.