Skip to Main Content

Copyright at Okanagan College

What type of media are you using?

Streaming videos or DVDs:

Music, radio or television:

* Note on recording online lectures with streaming video content: 

Best practice is to stop recording while streaming the video and resume the recording when the video ends to avoid 'copying' the video or film, which may be a violation of copyright or licensing agreements.

Library streaming videos

Streaming videos from the library's collection are generally permissible to use in class. The library only licenses streaming videos which are for classroom use.

Top library streaming databases:

Netflix, iTunes, etc.

Because you sign a user agreement with Netflix, iTunes and other streaming services to access their content, you should check the Terms of Use. Terms of Use for most streaming services indicate that content is for "personal use" or "household use", which may not cover classroom viewing.

Netflix has a list of their original content, some which allow educational screenings with restrictions. Titles which are available for educational screening will have a statement granting permission and list the restrictions. See link below.


Ensure that the video has been uploaded to YouTube by the copyright holder to avoid the use of copyright infringed material. If it is not posted by the copyright holder you cannot use the video. If it is uploaded by the copyright holder - and there are no limitations on the terms of use - you can show the video in class. You can also link to/embed the video in Moodle or a website. Do not make a copy of the video and upload it to Moodle.


As long as the video is legally obtained (i.e., purchased or rented from a retail store, borrowed from the library, borrowed from someone else who has legally obtained the video) you may use it in class. You may not copy a video from home and show the copied version in the classroom, as the resulting copy is not a legal copy.

Section 29.5(d) of the Copyright Act:

Live or recorded music

If the music is performed in "furtherance of an educational object", you may perform live music or play a sound recording without paying royalties or asking permission, according to section 32.2(3).

If the use is other than educational, the performance requires permission and royalties. Examples such as dances and sporting events, events which are intended to make a profit, or where there is no educational premise (ie: background music) require permission. See Music Licensing at Okanagan College for more information. 

Live broadcasts of TV or radio

Section 29.5(c) allows showing/playing television/radio programs at the time of broadcast in an educational setting. The program must be shown/played on campus to an audience of primarily staff or students for educational purposes and must be free of charge.

Recorded broadcasts of TV or radio

Section 29.6 of the Act allows for the recording of a single copy of a news program or news commentary program – but not a documentary. The recording must be made at the time of broadcast, and shown/played on campus to an audience of primarily staff and/or students for educational purposes and must be free of charge.

You can record other programs (i.e., not news or news commentary) for review purposes only – you cannot show them in class. Only a single copy can be made and must be destroyed within 30 days of recording. If there is a program you would like to show in class, contact the Library.

Information obtained from or through this site does not constitute legal advice, but is provided as guidelines for using works for educational purposes.

The Copyright at Okanagan College website is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

This site is maintained by the librarians of Okanagan College Library.
If you wish to comment on an individual page, please contact that page's author.
If you have a question or comment about Okanagan College Library's LibGuides site as a whole, please contact the site administrator.